top of page

Guide to Naturalization

What is Naturalization?

Naturalization is the legal process through which a foreign citizen can become a U.S. citizen.

Who can be naturalized?

A permanent resident who is at least 18 years old and resides in the United States for at least five (5) years or three (3) years if married to a US citizen.

Steps to Naturalization

1. Determine if you are eligible to become a U.S. Citizen. 

2. Prepare and submit your Form N-400, Application for Naturalization.

3. Go to the biometrics appointment, if applicable. 

4. Complete the citizenship interview. 

5. Receive a decision from USCIS on your N-400, Application for Naturalization. 

6. Receive notice to take the Oath of Allegiance. 

7. Take the Oath of Allegiance to the United States. 

What information and documents are needed?

  • Copy of Legal Permanent Resident Card (Green Card), front and back. 

  • List of your addresses and employment, and/or schools within the past five (5) years, including start and end dates.

  • The filing fee for the Form N-400 is $640. A biometric services fee of $85 is also required for applicants under 75 years of age when filing Form N-400 regardless of where the applicant lives and whether the applicant is filing from within the United States or abroad.

If you have been arrested or convicted of a crime, you must include:

  • All arrests and/or convictions, records, including reason for the arrest, date, place, and outcome/disposition.

  • All arrest and court documents, even if the charges were dismissed, expunged or dropped, including moving traffic violation with a fine of $500 or more. 

If you are currently married, you must include:

  • Full Legal Name of Spouse

  • Copy of Birth Certificate of Spouse

  • Current Address of Spouse

  • Green Card Number or Date and Place of Naturalization of Spouse

  • Certificate of Marriage

  • Information on all prior marriages and how the marriages ended, if applicable. 

If you are married to a U.S. citizen and acquired a green card through marriage, additional documents are needed:

  • Evidence that your spouse has been a U.S. citizen for at least three (3) years. ​

    • Certificate of Naturalization OR Biographical Page of U.S. Passport 

  • Proof of termination of all prior marriages of your spouse.

    • Divorce Decree​

    • Annulment Decree

    • Death Certificate of Previous Spouse(s)

  • Documents ​referring to your marital relationship.

    • Tax Returns​

    • Bank Account(s)

    • Lease Agreement

    • Mortgage(s)

    • Birth Certificate of Children

If you have children, you must include your children's:

  • Full Legal Name(s)

  • Copy of Birth Certificate(s)

  • Green Card Number(s) 

  • Current Address(es)


What is a fee waiver?

You may be eligible for a fee waiver if:

  • You are receiving a means tested benefit (Medicaid, food stamps, TANF, supplemental security income; or

  • You have a low income; or

  • You have a financial hardship. 

If you are think you may be eligible for a fee waiver, complete Form I-912, Request for Fee Waiver


Support our mission

Your contribution improves the program and services provided to low-income, immigrant families, seniors, and adults living with a disability.

bottom of page